A home in the City of Shasta Lake ignites and badly injures a man who may have been producing drugs. Authorities say 29-year-old Solomona Luapua suffered severe burns and his home was badly damaged.
Around 10:15 Tuesday morning witnesses say heard a small explosion and what happened next was pure chaos. Luapua came running out from inside the Bonneville street home. He was badly burned and was calling out to neighbors for help. they came to his assistance by calling 9-1-1 and putting out the flames with a garden hose.
When firefighters arrived they immediately knew that something was off. The man had been cooking in his bedroom and he was not cooking food.
"There was a fire in the bedroom, the cause was someone cooking in the bedroom. It was quickly extinguished and contained to the bedroom," said Sharyn Toso of the Shasta Lake Fire Dept.
"I was advised by the fire department that they had seen evidence of possible narcotics manufacturing in the residence. 'can we narrow that down, are we talking about a meth lab in here?' it does not appear to be a meth lab. it may be marijuana related from the reports that i have got from the firemen," said Sgt. John Greene of the Shasta County Sheriffs Office.
Officials believe Luapua was manufacturing marijuana hash or "honey oil." In the process he was using butane as a solvent to extract the oil from the plant. It's believed the highly flammable butane vapors built up in the room and caused the explosion.
Luapua received burns to 30 percent of his body. He will be transferred to the burn unit at U.C. Davis Medical Center in Sacramento. Police have not yet said if he will face any charges.